With allergies affecting one in three Australian children, asthma one in four, ADHD one in 10 and autism more than 1 in 100 children, there is definitely a need to take a concerted approach to addressing the health of our children.
I have a passion for working with children, and can assist in children presenting with:
- Learning difficulties like ADHD, hyperactivity and poor concentration;
- Autism, Aspergers syndrome and children on the autism spectrum;
- Skin conditions;
- Digestive complaints – colic, diarrhoea, persistent gastro-like symptoms; and
- Frequent colds, flus, and ear nose throat infections.
My approach to children with behavioural disorders and with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is heavily predicated on a biomedical approach to healing which involves considering the nutritional deficiencies, toxicity and intestinal permeability present in children. This includes utilising a variety of diagnostic tests to scientifically assess your children’s underlying biochemistry and address nutritional and dietary needs. I will use nutritional supplements and other natural and complimentary medicines as needed to support healing and improve their inherent vitality.
I place a heavy emphasis on dietary change which is the backbone of this biomedical approach and is proven to be highly effective, being able to significantly improve symptoms in 60% of children with ASD.
My approach is also predicated on the pivotal role that leaky gut syndrome or increased intestinal permeability and alterations in gut and intestinal bacteria can play in the manifestation of autism and ASD. Increased intestinal permeability may be caused by antibiotics, drugs, dietary sugars, flour, refined carbohydrates, bottle feeding & infection.
A compromised gut lining can upset the balance and efficiency of important intestinal gut flora which can in turn lead to compromised absorption of important nutrients required for brain and bodily function and to allergens crossing the “blood brain barrier” and causing neurotoxicity by binding to neurotransmitter receptors in the brain.
In general, my approach to children with learning difficulties and ASD involves:
- Reducing toxic stress in the form of food, chemicals, metals and/or infections;
- Reducing allergies and inflammation which often contribute to neurological inflammation;
- Healing the gut lining and restoring the balance of beneficial gut flora which will in turn improve a child’s detoxification processes and naturally reduce toxic stress, allergies and inflammation;
- Restoring nutritional deficiencies where they may be present; and
- Neurological healing and recovery to ensure that children reach their full potential and are given the best opportunity and best foot forward in life.
Tests which I will often recommend are detailed below, however testing will be determined upon consulting with you and your child.
- Hair Mineral Analysis
- Food Intolerance Testing – ALCAT or IgG
- Nutritional Biochemistry Testing
- Pyrrole Disorder Urine Testing
- Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis
- Organic Acid Test
My sincere hope is that every child I meet will be able to be assisted in reaching their optimum vitality and full potential. Should I not feel I am able to assist you I will always refer you to a qualified and trusted colleague or professional who will be able to make a difference. My genuine belief is that where there is hope there is always a way.