Smoothies are a wonderful way to boost your intake of healing foods and pack in several powders and potions which you would struggle to consume otherwise. The below recipe is the perfect example of a therapeutic strength smoothie with superior gut healing and anti-inflammatory actions which surprisingly tastes tropical and fresh. Give it a go even if you do not have any gastro-intestinal issues for a bit of belly balancing and upkeeping.
- 1½ cups of almond milk
- 1/2 cup frozen papaya – Papaya is rich in papain, which lowers inflammation
- 1/4 cup frozen pineapple – Pineapple is very rich in digestive enzymes
- ¼ cups walnuts – Walnuts are rich in Omega 3s
- ½ inch fresh ginger root – Ginger contains gingerol, a potent anti-inflammatory
- ½ inch fresh turmeric root – Tumeric is known for its anti-cancer & anti-fungal properties
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon – Cinnamon reduces cytokines and is anti-bacterial
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil- Promotes the healing of the stomach lining, being rich in MCFAs
- 1/2 teaspoon slippery elm – Provides powerful mucilage to coat and heal the gut lining
- 1 Tablespoon flax seeds – Flaxseeds are rich in Omega 3s and insoluble fibre
- 1 scoop glutamine powder (optional) – Glutamine is an amino acid which promotes healing of the gut lining
- 1/2 teaspoon probiotic powder (optional – you can just open up a probiotic capsule)
Place the milk in the blender first and add the remaining ingredients. If you have a Vitamix you will not need to grind the nuts or seeds prior. If you do not have a powerful blender, grind the nuts and seeds in a coffee grinder before placing them in the blender.